Thursday, April 08, 2004

2.0
I was walking towards Osco to pick up some detergent, and waiting for the cars to pass by at a stop, I looked over at the Hair Cuttery. In a matter of minutes, my healthy Samson mane was shorn off, and here I type before you, with hair as short as it was in Middle School (or even shorter). Needless to say, I got several double-looks and shocked faces. My friends here have never really seen me with short hair, which is kind of weird. But good weird. I am heavily enjoying that I can run without my hair attacking my face, or that I can wake up without being strangled by my hair. I never really wanted to have long hair, but I felt it necessary to not cut it Freshmen Year, and I just got really lazy this year. Until now!
I didn't really realize it until recently, but, looking back, having long hair truly makes people treat you differently. Its very subtle, but once you pick up on it it's really kinda amazing. All the prejudices and stereotypes go along with having long hair (hippie? activist? slacker?) completely color people's perception of you. And short hair is no different. Already I've gotten comments on how "sharp" "clean-cut" "older" I look now. Which is natural, but I'm curious how this will effect the rest of my quarter here (i.e. teachers, at work, etc). It's almost like it's a new me, but I see nothing new at all.
Thanks to Mel, I'm also currently enjoying "Clandestine in Chile: THe Adventures of Miguel Littin" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (author of my favorite book of all time). It's about this filmmaker who is exiled from his country of Chile, and returns disguised as a businessman to secretly film a documentary of Chile's political decay from Pinochet rule. Good stuff. And MEL IS THE COOLEST OF THE COOL, the Sultan of Swing, the Apple of my Eye, for lending it to me (and in no way ever do I even in the least bit hate or dislike her, at all!). And that is sincere! Sincere! Liberals!
And yes, I am planning on putting up some new pics. Less talk, more pictures. Hopefully I'll add a section where you can view past stuff I've put up. Maybe some California pictures? Or character drawings of Sconce and the animation project? Productivity is rising...

No comments:

Blog Archive