Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Yo!
Evanston was kind enough to let us Northwestern folk ease into the chilly spring of the midwest, as it's been nice sunny days since I've been back that just now have dipped into it's, ahem, charming blustery temperatures. Cause I swear I would've cried if I stepped off O'Hare with icy winds on my face, coming back from Paradise, U.S.A. (aka Santa Barbara, California). It was a good break through and through, though I wished I had spent more than three days at home. I realized there that as much as my dorm and my friends here are comfortable and great, home is home. I've made a commitment to call home more often (at least more than, say, once every two, three weeks?); it grounds me.
But yes, California was great. I was surprised to find my most exaggerated stereotypical California expectations to turn out more or less true. We hiked, watched a lot of basketball, boogie boarded, ate good food, deep sea fished, and did other enjoyable sunny things. My last moment of Santa Barbara was driving down the freeway while the red sun was setting in the horizon, looking out the window and seeing a pretty California girl smile and wave. Yep, that was pretty much California.
And here I am! Only a few days into the quarter and I've got a pretty sizable to-do-list. Summer plans are pretty exciting, actually they are really freaking awesome, if things turn out right. DeYoung and I are gonna shoot for this summer undergrad research grant ($3000) for the animation/prelinger archive project we've been talking about since the fall. If things turn out right, I'll be in Evanston and Chi-town for the summer animating and working on Stuart's movie (and getting paid for that) with little restrictions and pressure (I'll be able to visit home or wherever whenever I want). I guess things are turning almost full circle for me, and I'm a bit suprised on how much animation is exciting me. Which is very very good. It feels right, comfortable, and unsettling at the same time (cause when was the last time I've done something like this?). So, cross your fingers! Plan C for the summer is now heading underway.
By the way, if you're a Motown fan, or just like good music, you should really check out A Cellarful of Motown. Its this Universal compilation, two disc's full of unreleased and vaulted Motown tracks Gordy threw out ("the rarest of detroit grooves"). I don't understand how these songs aren't on oldie stations and proudly standing alongside "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" or "Baby Love;" these songs are rawer, more powerful, and more soulful than your average Motown track (which says a lot) and are just amazing. Really strange to hear something so familiar and new at the same time. So yes, do yourself a favor. Okay, off to bed for another exciting day of learning!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALRIGHT!!

No comments:

Blog Archive