Saturday, March 13, 2004

I'm sitting here looking at Jimmy John's large Mr. Pibb soda, which might or might not have been spit on (or worse). See, I woke up this morning starving, and having to organize my photos today and retake some (and by being really lazy), I called for food. My stomach was wrenching by the time I made the call, and finally thirty minutes came. Then 45 minutes came. Then 50. I was about to kill someone. I called the place back, and they were like "uh, yeah it should be there," NO help at all, and finally, five minutes later, I get the call and go downstairs-- and, get this, he forgets my large drink! What the hell! He has a pissy attitude, which only makes me have a pissier one, and tip him 50 cents. He calls back twenty minutes later with my drink, and now, hours later, its still sitting on the table. And I'm staring at it. Hmm.
There's a certain dichotomy to delivery; you call for your food and for service, and you pay accordingly. So, when you don't get service, and especially when you don't get your food, you should still pay accordingly. It's not my fault the guy sucked. I have friends who were past waiters, and they always say to tip your waiter well, no matter what. Well, I'm certainly no Mr. Pink, but I think I have to disagree. I'm not going to give someone money freely. This is a give and take relationship; I understand if the waiter might be having a bad day or whatever. It's a strictly nonpersonal transaction; in fact you make it worse by making it personal and mixing sympathies with dollars. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but if I was a waiter who messed up an order and acknowledged I was dishing out bad service, I wouldn't expect the pay. I really wouldn't... and I do understand yes, be nice to your fellow brother, but aaaargh how do you weigh being a good samaritan (if supposedly the guy's having the worst day of his life, or something) with following regulations of what should be and what shouldn't?
This is what I'm thinking about, staring at the (still) unconsumed large Jimmy John's Mr. Pibb.

No comments:

Blog Archive