Wednesday, April 06, 2005

(another) ridiculous view

I got about 400 pics out of this whole experience; obviously I'm not gonna put 'em all here-- a few more are on my Flickr pages, most I don't have the space to upload them, and a lot of good ones should be up once Annie puts 'em up! But without further ado, here's a small sampling of Italy:

the basic gang

One thing that made Capri so relaxing and amazing was that the people we hung out with turned out to be really chill and fun to hang around... I sometimes have the problem of being too absorbed in the socialness of things and thus feeling shortchanged of the whole "experience"... like I'm too worried about the bullshit of smalltalk and "being cool" with the kids (the way I see most kids studying abroad are) than actually looking outside and absorbing and experiencing the whole situation around you. I felt this way constantly in Russia, but in Italy, we just had fun with each other and around us-- good group.

we kayaked to those cliffs

everything in italy was green

And everything in Italy was green. GREEN. Amazingly green. Everything in Russia was dirty. Italy was green.

annie on the bus

One of my favorite pics of Annie. Our ridge/church apartment is gonna rock righteously.

chairlift

yep

goats!

We had a livestock experience quota to meet each day. We only made it to three days, but we touched a sheep and befriended some goats!

best beachside panini joint ever

seafood!

best pizza ever

Oh God. We were bums for most of the trip (sleeping on the beach, loitering as a lifestyle), but we fancied up in public toilets and made sure we ate right. Do you see that pizza? I could cry thinking about how good that pizza was. So good that with wine and hours to kill, by the end of that pizza, we were talking wistfully of long lost loves and future dreams. Yeah. That pizza was unbelievable.

typical italian car

As shocked as I was to find that Russians really do wear fuzzy hats and are mean, I couldn't believe that the Italians we met really did say "MAma MIa!" and talked loudly and passionately about everything. Weirdly, it made things more surreal than familiar.

butcher market

new castle

We sat on a grassy knoll by this castle, where I read about MF Doom and Annie tried to get more sun. This was one of the few picturesque parts of Napoli... other than their pizza.

wine on the beach

What we had to do to chill wine.

wine off the beach

What we had to do after chilling the wine.

tiberius' ruins

cefalu coast

train ride

Someday, I have to come back to Sicily, rent a scooter vespa thing, and drive down all this sicilian countryside myself with a trusty comrade. One of the most beautiful and incredible places I've ever seen... needless to say, I've got the post spring break blues (but that might be exaggerating a bit, cause Copenhagen's never been better). Once I get space again on Flickr, I'll try to post the sketches I did during the trips (hooray for drawing on a regular basis again). I've got only a month and a half left of classes, but I really want to travel around some more... if only I can find some fellow backpackers and some $$$ of course-- we shall see...

annie's red dress

"Ciao bello"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So this pizza was heaven sent or something to that extent? Made you all nostalgic and take a walk down memory lane or something to that nature? Forgive me, I read the post a few days ago and remembered - whoa... here's a thought so it's a bit of the random. But what can you do when you're sick and on lots of medication, eh? BACK TO THE POINT... You say the pizza was great in Italy; does it compare to the Cajun Executioner from Deano's? I'm interested.