Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Superman Jock Itch

Here we go: another batch of pictures for yer feastin' eyes. These are some scans of my Russian and Italian Extravaganza, though mostly Russian. Like I said earlier, my St. Basil's sketch was featured on moleskinerie.com so check it, yo.

Moscow Skyline

St. Basil's Cathedral

I have many sketches of Russian architecture, as it was the cool thing for all the archy kids to do for their classes. So whenever they whipped out the sketchbooks, I felt more comfortable doing whatever they did. It was a little strange being amongst such drawing company... I can't say I've ever really had that experience before, which was very, very odd for me to realize. If grad school (and, well, just say "general future" most likely) will be anything like how it was in Russia, people are going to be fuckin' moody. And that's cool... i guess... but it definitely gave a... competitive? tense kind of atmosphere that I have never before associated with drawing. Long ways from Mrs. Manno's class (shudder)...

Oh, and another thing about drawing in Russia, it was COLD. So, by the time I got to the major tower in St. Basil's, my fingers refused to move. But I had a ballet to attend to at the Bolshoi anyway (hwya hwya). Oh yeah, in all my complaining about the Red Country, I often forget to mention my highlight of it: the ballets and the operas. Saw Mazeppa by Tchaikovsky, Midsummer Night's Dream (ballet) directed by John Neiumeier, and a bunch of experimental modern dance shorts, in the Bolshoi in Moscow and the Kirov (sp?) in St. Petersburg... they were, in a word, amazing. And I do, uh, have sketches of those world famous theaters, but I'm lazy.

First Two Pages

Russian Musicians

Capri Coast

Capri Sketches

I drew considerably less in Capri, but I guess that makes sense. Whereas Russia became mindnumbing in the cold, the unrelentless schedules, and the dead air during tours, drawing was much more needed. But in Capri, I at least managed to get a detailed sketch with, like, shadows and stuff!

Ok, and here are just some random scans of doodling in class.

Lord Quas

el dorado man

viking frog

Prof Warmind Sneezing

Prof Warmind on Rampage

Our good ol' friend, Professor Warmind. Sometimes irrelevant, tedious, but always entertaining and big as a giant.

Rooster Executioner

Toshiro Mifune

Old Duck

Superhero Doodling

Aaand I'm tired of linking. Saw Kingdom of Heaven today with some friends and it was deliciously nice watching a film again in a theater! Especially since we were all basically closet movie geeks. Geek as in, I'd be like talking about how cool a movie is going to be, then Jordan goes all "Yeah I read the script when I was photocopying copies for the office. It was pretty good." Brought back warm fuzzy film school memories... though those may be made up. Oh, and too bad the movie sucked too. Just okay.

Schedule's looking real nice for the fall too: Computer Animation, Advanced Drawing, Film Noir, and an interesting communication in relationships comm course (bullshit distro), or maybe a printmaking class. Whoooo knows. Oh, and, after this morning, ham and artichokes will never be the same. You don't want to know.

No comments: