Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Notebook Doodles
haberdasher

Or, at least, says so the Modernist (with a capital "M"), with all these Henrik Ibsens and Ingmar Bergmans and Kierkegaards hammering over your head every DIS class. Seriously, the Danes here love "modernism," it's as if it just happened yesterday and they can't wait to tell you all about it. At least my teachers do:

warmind

briansbrains

So I forgot to upload my other teachers, but Prof. Warmind is my nordic myth teacher (and also the coolest professor name I've ever heard), and actually IS a viking and wears the same sweater-vest every single day for lecture. Brian, my kierkegaard teacher, often talks about his head exploding from thought.

headphonesonbus

morningtrain221

DIS is actually a whole lot like high school, with the same smallish group of students going to the same classes, going on the same trips, and all having their seperate places. It's a lot of fun, but it was really refreshing last night going to a bar not ravaged by american college students (but instead hipster danes! as we affectionately called them). It was an "open jam session" night, which included a woman chanting and yodeling in indian and doing crazy polyrhythms on an ancient drum (which was actually really amazing), a sex pistols cover band of fourteen year olds (they won't be able to... scream?sing?screech?... like that in about a year or so), and a very angry danish rap duo (which was actually really terrible). we decided it might be better to visit again, when it's not a tuesday night.

laurelandhardy

monkeydoodle

Photos to come soon! And I will have my dad's digital camera for spring break and afterwards, so just kinda expect for more photos then as developing here is so freaking expensive (as is everything here). Also, I haven't shaved since I've been here and am thinking of trying to develop as much of a full beard as I can for mighty Russia, what do you think? I just want to sit in an opera house in St. Petersburg stroking my beard and patting my vodka-filled flask. What could be better?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across the picture of Morton - I was at DIS fall of 05. The sweatervest his mother made him with the Irish prehistoric goddess figurine on it was totally fabulous in its own hideous way, yes.