Saturday, July 07, 2007

beirut

Ratatouille! Completely restored my faith in contemporary american animation. There are few dorkier things than to act all pretentious with animation (comic books are now, like, totally legit), and I do it well. I was one of those kids who drew cartoons for friends from first grade til... well now. I always said I wanted to "draw for Disney." Now, I'm not so sure, but I do know that Brad Bird's newest film stokes those old embers. One of my favorites aspects of the film is the animating of various character's sensations of tasting good food.

Here's Michael Gagne describing his process of creating these abstract animations of swirling strawberry or popping cheese. Oskar Fischinger would be proud. (Well, maybe not.)

P.S. Anybody dabbled in silkscreening before? Got any good tips, advice, or things I should know before buying one of those dick blick kits? I don't really buy clothes anymore, so I'm figuring I should just make my own...

No comments: