Thursday, May 31, 2007

aggregator 9/06-1/07

If you are anywhere near my age, you probably remember the countless number of one hit wonders that constituted our pop daily bread and butter back in the day. I mean, is it just me or did pop music in the early-mid 90's, before the corporate boy bands, before the manufactured teenaged girl singers , make for a really diverse breadth of styles, influences, and all around wacked out weirdness? "Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow?" "I smell sex and candy?" "I could never be your woman?" This stuff is pre AND post sanjaya.

But most importantly, these were POP songs! These are the songs you still remember the lyrics to! The songs that soundtracked your first dates! The voice cracking! Uh, etc.! This 1990's JAM mix below should either start making you smile uncontrollably ear to ear, or gag. To me, it's a little mix of both.

01. "99 Red Balloons" Nena
02. "Steal My Sunshine" Len
03. "Brimful of Asha" Cornershop
04. "How Bizarre" OMC
05. "Lovefool" Cardigans
06. "Ghetto Supastar" Pras Michel feat. Mya, ODB
07. "Your Woman" White Town
08. "Friends of P" The Rentals
09. "Sex and Candy" Marcy Playground
10. "No Rain" Blind Melon
11. "In the Meantime" Spacehog
12. "Standing Outside a Phonebooth with Money in my Hand" Primitive Radio Gods
13. "Drinking in L.A." Bran Van 3000
14. "Pepper" Butthole Surfers
15. "Peaches" Presidents of the United States of America


(As a side note, in making this list, I realized middle school nostalgia could go on forever. So, these are the true one hit wonders; not the Alanis Morseitte, the Green Day, the STP songs, etc., that seemed to be everywhere too. Also, songs like "Feel So Good" by Mase should really stay in the past. Nostalgia must be diligent.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to point out that 99 luftballoons came out in the mid-80s, as its presence on the Boogie Nights soundtrack would indicate.

Miguel said...

You're totally right, but it leads so well into "Steal My Sunshine" (ha) and it was around enough to qualify for 90's nostaligia.

Olivia Kasle said...

I often sing "Steal My Sunshine" at karaoke thursday nights...
by often, I mean twice.